In the world of mighty four-wheelers, the word Jeep commands respect and admiration as it reminds one of brute strength and unparalleled safety! (It can also bring about certain thoughts of massive fuel consumption, but oh well)
Now, sure, these impressive machines may look like they function thanks to a pure collaboration of a bunch of metal cogs, fuel, and sheer aggressiveness, for good measure. However, while this is mostly true, they also need one other crucial part in order to crack on going wherever you need to go- a battery.
Since Jeeps are often well-equipped with a variety of car accessories for this and that, the battery for one of these heavy-weight vehicles needs to be durable, and to pack a powerful electrical punch!
Whether it’s massive headlights, a bunch of phone chargers or an inbuilt espresso machine, you’re going to be needing a solid source of electricity that won’t run out of its ‘soup’ as soon you’ve lit a cigarette with the cigarette lighter.
Editor’s Recommendation: Top 5 Jeep Battery
|Jeep Battery||Weight||Editor’s Rating||Link|
|1. ACDelco ??? 94RAGM||51.6 pounds||Check Price|
|2. Odyssey ??? PC680||15.4 pounds||Check Price|
|3. Optima ??? D34||42.9 pounds||Check Price|
|4. Optima ??? Red Top||31.7 pounds||Check Price|
|5. Fisher-Price ??? 12-Volt||9.5 pounds||Check Price|
In order to help you out in choosing the perfect supply of electricity for your faithful Jeep, we’ve decided to organize a top 5 list of the best models currently available on the market. Each of the batteries we’re about to present can be great solutions in their own right, so read on and pick the one that suits your needs in the best way!
First, though, a couple of features of these mighty batteries to take into consideration before you close in for a purchase:
As you already know, Jeeps are a special breed of vehicles that can tackle tough terrain and snowy mountains, as well as be used to drive your kids to school. Their two most important features would be unparalleled safety and excellent performance. (Even in rugged conditions)
Now, one of the crucial automotive parts that makes these vehicles go would be the battery. So, when buying either a brand new or a spare battery for your Jeep, make sure to take into consideration some of these factors:
4 Things to Consider Before Buying Jeep Batteries
Main or Backup Battery – First off, there’s the question of the purpose of your new battery. If you plan to use it as the main source of power for your vehicle, you might want to go for endurance and ‘rechargeability’ as its primary features. If you need a secondary, backup battery, go for a sturdy model that’s compatible with the model of your car.
Cold Start – Secondly, a battery that can easily pull off a so-called ‘cold start’ can be a pretty useful asset to have. Starting up the engine in cold conditions can be tough enough on its own, so having a battery that can do it for you would certainly be a plus.
Reserve Capacity – Every now and again, your alternator can start acting up, leaving you without a viable option other than reaching your destination before your battery runs dry. Unless that is, you have a battery with some reserve electricity stocked in it! A battery with reserve capacity can be a lifesaver, as it will give you power for some time, even if your alternator completely shuts off.
Vibration Resistance – Since driving a Jeep often means beating tough terrain, having a battery that can survive the ordeal and the massive amounts of bumping and vibrations that come with it is definitely a must for a battery-savvy Jeep owner!
Fasten your seatbelts, ladies and gentlemen, here we go!
5 Best Batteries for Your Jeep Wrangler
Featuring a simple look and the sticker written in not two, not four, but three languages, the ACDelco 94R battery can be a great solution for an avid motorist with plenty of ‘hungry accessory mouths to feed’, so to speak.
Features and Benefits
- Silver Calcium Stamped Alloy – Increases the battery’s ‘life expectancy’ and enables uninterrupted performance
- Fair price-to-value ratio – Even though this model is fairly pricey for a car battery, its great durability and performance characteristics make it all worthwhile
- Protective Vent Cap Design – If you’re worried about your car battery leaking on you when you least expect it, this model may be a great solution for you, as its protective cap will ensure that nothing leaks ‘out of bounds’.
- Great Conductivity – Thanks to a great combination of calcium and lead that this grid is made out of, this battery boasts excellent conductivity properties. This, in turn, makes it run better for a longer period of time!
- On the flipside, this battery is quite pricey, so keep that in mind before you close in for a purchase. Also, make sure to check your car model before purchasing this vehicle, as this particular battery can’t really work with all models.
Coming from a manufacturer with a name of an ancient Greek epic poem, this car battery is a simple yet effective solution for keeping your car’s needs for electricity well-covered. If anything should go awry, God forbid, you can always fall back on its hefty warranty for an easy fix!
Features and Benefits
- Long Service Life – Thanks to its simple and sturdy construction, this car battery can live up to the old age of 10 years, if treated properly. A great money saver in the long run, and at a reasonable price, too!
- Vibration-Resistant – Since rides in a Jeep can get pretty bumpy at times, having a battery that can survive your off-road-bound frolics would definitely be a major motoring asset!
- Temperature-Resistant – Other than being capable of surviving a particularly uncomfortable ride without exploding into smithereens, this PCF680 model also fares pretty well against heat. This can be useful if you live in a hot area with plenty of sunny days in a year.
- The Warranty – Last but not least, this model from the Odyssey company comes with a 2-year limited warranty, within which you can replace it for a new battery should the one you bought come with a factory defect!
- Unfortunately, this battery can get discharged rather easily, and needs to be used on a regular basis in order to keep it running. Also, for whatever reason, it’s not available for sale in Catalina Island. Tough luck if you live there.
With an appearance of a down-sized water-filtration apparatus, this D34 dual purpose battery from Optima can be an excellent choice for anyone who owns a vehicle without an alternator, or with plenty of additional accessories!
Features and Benefits
- Cold Cranking Potential – Starting up your engine can be a tough task in cold weather, so having a tough battery onboard that can enable you to do just that with ease can be a massive asset in the long run. The D34 model from Optima has 750 cold cranking Amps for this purpose, so you can rest assured that your engine will start, no matter how bad the conditions outside might get.
- Reserve Capacity – One of the most attractive aspects of this particular battery model is that it’s able to retain some reserve power just in case. For example, if your alternator dies, this reserve will help you get your vehicle to the nearest mechanic so that you don’t have to call an AA service!
- A Great Number of Recharging Cycles – When this battery gets discharged, which is bound to happen eventually, of course, you can rest assured that you can recharge it back to its former glory again- and up to 300 times, no less!
- On the flipside, this model is not available for sale on Catalina Island.
Similar to its yellow-capped cousin from above, the Optima’s Red Top Starting Battery is best used for regular motor-starting tasks, where the vehicle in question is appropriately equipped with an alternator. In such a scenario, this battery can serve you, or rather your vehicle, for a great number of years!
Features and Benefits
- Plucky Reserve Capacity – Much like the Yellow Top model we described earlier, this Red Top Starting Battery from Optima has the capacity to retain some of its electricity for every eventuality. The manufacturers claim that this model can go on functioning 90 minutes without a working alternator to supply it. Certainly, a convenient feature to have, just in case!
- Great Performance in Bad Weather – Thanks to its 720 Amps of sheer cranking power, this Red Top Starting Battery from Optima is sure to ‘crank-up’ your vehicle even in some properly appalling weather.
- Spiral Cell Technology – Manufactured in closely-monitored conditions and according to the highest standards of technology, the Optima’s spiral cells are top notch in their respective category on the market. According to the folks at Optima themselves, there’s scarcely a company that could top them at this.
- Of course, this battery doesn’t necessarily work with all vehicles, so make sure to check if your car, motorcycle, or truck model is compatible with it before you make a purchase.
Assuming the appearance of a simple cube with a couple of dents here and there, the Fisher-Price’s Rechargeable Replacement Battery is an odd-looking contraption that doesn’t really resemble your usual car battery all that much. Don’t be fooled, though, as this model can be a great backup battery you can resort to if the main one starts acting up.
Features and Benefits
- Instruction Booklet – Since charging up batteries can be a touchy procedure, the folks at Fisher-Price are issuing an instruction manual with each of their replacement batteries. Make sure to read through this material before you start using this product in order to avoid any potential problems.
- Only Compatible with Power Wheels Replacement Parts – As awesome as this product may look, it’s sadly limited to Power Wheels replacement parts only. Using it with hardware made by some other company will not only potentially damage this battery but also void the warranty.
- About the only thing you’d need to pay attention to with this battery is making sure you don’t overcharge or undercharge it. Failing to charge it to a predetermined level will damage it. Also, the battery must always be in an upright position while charging.
Best Jeep Batteries – The Final Words
All things considered, a tough battery that can withstand some serious abuse and still continue working for a while would certainly be a massive asset to have as a Jeep owner! It will be able to get you out of a particularly tough pickle and be your engine’s best friend potentially for months on end. We hope you liked our top 5 list and were able to find the best model for your needs. Best of luck with your purchase and cheers!